Thursday, June 17, 2010

I'd like to share something I wrote three years ago...

STAINED GLASS

While visiting my parents church in my old hometown today, I joined in the worship and watched the young, new Christians who were leading the singing.  They were all so vibrant and shining and it took me back to when I was fifteen;  A brand new Christian in that very same building.  I thought to myself, there is SO much I could tell you guys!
A picture later came into my mind.  When we are saved, we are like a beautiful, new pane of coloured glass.  Some of us are red, some green and some blue.  Each of us is lovely and fully functional as we are.  But that is not Gods ultimate plan for us.  It is a starting point.
The Lord is going to pick up that pane of glass and He is going to smash it.  He smashed me when a teenaged friend died.  He smashed me again as friendships fell apart.  He smashed me again when my daughter had heart surgery.  Marriages fall apart.  Smash.  Loved ones die.  Smash.  Children start abusing drugs or alcohol.  Smash.
The Christians that these things happen to have done nothing wrong.  God is not punishing them but using these times to create the person He always intended each of them to be.
I know as I have lain facedown, broken on the ground Jesus has reached into the sharp, jagged pieces and picked up that moment.  Next to it he places another moment of a different colour that He has carried me through.
As I get further along in my life,  I occasionally look back to see where I have come from.  Instead of seeing that single sheet of coloured glass, I am shown a multi-coloured, intricate stained glass window that Jesus is lovingly creating.
I urge you young Christians, don't just look at the other pretty coloured sheets of glass around you.  Turn around and look at the older Christians through Gods eyes.  You may just realise that you have been standing in a magnificent cathedral filled with beautiful windows carefully pieced by the Masters hand.

No comments: